Kiddle Family - November 2012

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Hamburger Soup

It's been another busy day. The first of many really busy days actually.
Today I baked a few cakes, ordered a bunch of pictures to scrapbook this weekend, went and checked on my geocaches since they've had a bunch of DNFs lately (DNF = Did Not Find), made homemade buns and one of my favorite soups. Oh, and let's not forget all the things I made out of K'nex today for Matthew. I think I made a space shuttle, a hot air balloon and an airplane. Phew! Don't you find that the more you have to do, the more you can get done above and beyond? And days where there isn't much going on, it's hard to get even those few things done? Today is one of those days where I thought it might be a struggle to get everything done and yet I accomplished more and I'm surprisingly not exhausted. I love days like that.

Anyways, tonight I made Hamburger Soup. It's one of my favorite recipes. I got it from my friend Kelly many years ago and it's surprisingly one of the few meals I can make and I don't get a single complaint. Not one. Plus, it's a fabulous recipe to make that uses up some of my food storage.... you know, like dried carrots, onions and barley..... and no one would even know.

If you'd like the recipe, here you go...

1/5 lb. ground beef, cooked (I use whatever amount I have and I highly doubt it's ever exactly 1.5 lbs)
1/4 c. dehydrated onions
1 c. dehydrated carrots
1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
2 c. water
3 cans consomme
1 can tomato soup
4-5 sticks celery, finely chopped
8 Tbsp. barley
pepper

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker crockpot and let cook anywhere from a few hours to all day. I don't think it matters. You can even cook this on your stove and it turns out good.
If it gets a little dry, just add a little water. This is great for leftovers too!!


Oh, and don't forget to eat it with some buns. Tonight I made the 1 Hour bread.... love that recipe, just cause it's done from start to finish in one hour and a day like today, I didn't have time to bake buns that take a couple hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment