I had a few ideas, some of which I had done before. I was going to do a cake with blue jello (I made it one year for one of my kids and I swear, it's the ONLY cake I've ever made for my kids' parties that was eaten COMPLETELY) Anyways, when I realized that the cake was to be chocolate, I had to switch plans.... chocolate cake and blue jello just don't work together.
So, in the end, I made this cake.... and surprisingly, when I finished it, my kids were saying they want swimming parties for their next birthdays and they want this EXACT cake. Now, THAT is not a request I ever hear.... normally my kids don't like my cakes. So, that's a huge compliment. Thank you kids! And yes, it was a fun cake to make and I'd definitely make it again.
Well, here's the pictures from today's cake......
I love being able to create little details. I even put one bear diving into the water. ha ha.Back view
- This was an 8" cake. 2 layers.
- Covered in buttercream icing.
- "Sand" is graham crumbs.
- Blue water on top was blue/white buttercream topped with blue tinted piping gel.
- Bears are teddy grahams with chocolate faces and icing swim suits
- "Inner tubes" are lifesaver gummies
- Palm trees... trunks are fondant covered skewers. Leaves are made from royal icing. Made one day in advance to allow time to dry