Kiddle Family - November 2012

Saturday 2 April 2011

Caramel Popcorn

Mmmmmm............Caramel Popcorn. One of the best snacks ever!

I go through phases on what we eat. We'll eat something over and over and over again, then it's almost like I forget about it until months/years later when I remember and think "hey, remember when we used to eat this...". I'm like this with just about anything we eat. Probably most noticable, supper. I get in these ruts and I can't remember what I used to make, just that I used to make something that we don't eat any more.

Anyways.... where am I going with this?? Oh, yes. Caramel Popcorn. A forgotten snack. And when I remember it, I wonder how I could ever forget about it!! And I'll make a big batch several times in a row, over a course of a few days, because it's just so good and yummy.

Last night we were going to stay in a hotel for the night. Nothing special. We just had a free night to use up and it was our only free weekend before it expires. So, I thought we needed a snack we could eat in the hotel.... Caramel popcorn. We ate it all!!! And I could have easily eaten more.


Well, if you'd like the recipe, here it is....
Ingredients:
6 Quarts of popcorn
1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. corn syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Pop about 6 Qts of popcorn. Okay, I have absolutely no idea exactly how much 6 quarts is.... but it doesn't really matter. I think I use about 3/4c to 1c of unpopped kernels.

Melt butter in a large pot. Add brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 5 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add baking soda and vanilla. Remove from heat.

Mix with popcorn. I mix it all in a large roaster (large.. as in I can cook a large turkey in it)

You can eat it while it's soft. But, I prefer to eat it when it's crispy.
So, if you want the crispy popcorn, put it in a 225F oven for 1 hour (taking out and stirring every 15 minutes so it doesn't clump together) If it doesn't seem crispy enough, you can bake it for an extra 15 minutes. Oh, and if you like nuts, like my sisters, feel free to throw in some nuts (peanuts, cashews, pecans...) before you bake it too.

Enjoy!! This is one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment