Kiddle Family - November 2012

Monday 28 March 2011

Goofiness & Lemon Meringue Pies

Before I get to the pies, I thought I'd post a picture of Elora....

Last Friday, we went to a music concert for Cam's nephew, who is leaving for a mission to Argentina. We gave the kids strict instructions that they were to be quiet. I was impressed to see how nicely they sat with their coloring books and boxes of felt pens/pencil crayons. Then, about an hour inot the concert (2/3 over), I look over and there was Elora.... sticking these big googly eyes all over her forehead. I couldn't help but giggle. Sometimes my kids are so darn goofy. I love it. Next thing I knew, Emily also had extra eyes as well. Abigail was thoroughly disgusted by it all... because Elora was licking them to help them stick if they wouldn't stick on their own. Anyways, it was pretty funny. Thanks for the great laugh Elora!!

So, my parents invited us to come over tonight. I'm supposed to bring dessert. Let me just say that I'm a "food snob" in the fact that I like home-made desserts and rarely like store bought. I'll also say that, as much cake as I make, it will never be my first choice in dessert. Far from it actually. So, tonight's dessert is going to be lemon meringue pie. One of my favorites.... but it has to be home-made. For some reason, I find store-bought pie unbearable. Okay, and I'm picky about looks too.... so if it doesn't look good, I don't usually touch it (that goes for just about anything) I'm not picky, but I am. If that makes sense.

Anyways, I thought I'd post some pictures of how I like to make pie....

My favorite recipe (I learned from my Mom.... which is very close to the recipe on the crisco box, but not quite) It's ALWAYS nice and light and flakey!

In a bowl, combine
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 c. Crisco shortening.
(this is enough for 2 lg pie crusts.... or one pie with a top and bottom)


Use a pastry cutter and cut it into small pieces. Pea sized.


Next, we're going to add 4 Tbsp. of ice water (okay, I just use really cold water from the tap).
Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. on the dough first. Use a fork to mix lightly.
Sprinkle with the last 2 Tbsp. of water. Use a fork, then your hands.
*Handle the dough very little!! Mix it just enough that it will form into a ball... and even then, it still barely holds. Remember, very little. Should look kind of like this...

Next, you're going to want to roll it out. I like to roll my dough out between two pieces of parchment paper, but you can use wax paper. Make sure you sprinkle flour on the paper before you put the dough down, and then put a little on top as well.


Then to get the dough into the pan, I just lift if up right on the paper, place it over the pan and peel the paper off. I push the sides down and make sure there are no air pockets. Finish off the edges however you like to and poke lots of holes in the bottoms and sides (don't poke the holes if you're doing a pie that has a top.... like apple or rhubarb or such)

Bake your pie crust at 425F for 8-12 minutes.

For the filling, I like to use the Jello brand of lemon pie filling. I like it the best! Just follow the instructions on the back of the box. Remember, one box makes enough for one pie. So, if you're like me and you're making both pie crusts, you'll need to make 2 boxes!

The meringue is my favorite part to make. Once again, follow the instructions on the back of the Jello box. I think the key part, is how long to mix your meringue. The box says until it forms stiff peaks. I like to stop just before.... when you can lift a spoon and the peak will FLOP over and hold it's shape. It'll look like this.....

Make lots of little peaks on top. Don't just spread your meringue smooth on top.... make it look pretty! Then, when you've thrown it back into the oven for a few minutes, it'll come out looking like this....


Yum! Don't you just love lemon meringue pie too??

1 comment:

  1. I actually hate lemon meringue pie, anything lemon flavoured really. But your pie looks perfect. I have never seen such a beautiful pie.

    ReplyDelete