Kiddle Family - November 2012

Saturday 5 March 2011

Missionary cake

My sister-in-law, Katrina, asked me a while ago to make a missionary themed cake for my nephew, Reggie. He had recently been called to serve in Argentina and she thought it would be fun to have a cake with such a theme for his 19th birthday.

At first I thought I'd make a cake like this....
http://somegirlscakes.blogspot.com/2009/09/missionary-cake.html
But then, the thoughts kept swirling around in my head and I thought I'd kick it up a notch (or two) and do something completely unique. Normally, I get a lot of my ideas for cakes from books or images online, but this time I thought of something I've never even remotely seen before.

I sat down one afternoon and I created this sketch.


I knew I wanted a globe. A full globe, not just a half circle. Afterall, Argentina is on the bottom half of the world and I couldn't very well go move it's position on the globe - that would just be weird. So, if I was doing that, then a person kneeling on one knee seemed the obvious choice for putting a missionary on the cake.

So, I started out with the missionary person. I wasn't sure if I could make him, but if I could, then I was sure I could pull off a cake to look like this. After a couple hours, I had a missionary that looked like this....


He turned out so well. I couldn't have asked for it to go any better.
The globe came next. I made it out of rice krispy squares. I just didn't think that cake could hold a sphere shape without collapsing on the bottom.
The base cake was a 8 1/2" square coconut flavored cake. Covered in buttercream and then fondant. Each side had a different scripture to go along with missionary work.
Here are pictures of the finished cake....



I think Reggie loved his cake.... and the little fondant missionary kind of looks like him too!

Thanks Katrina for sending me this last picture today!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that cake is awesome! I love your creativity. It's amazing you can do that!

    ReplyDelete