Kiddle Family - November 2012

Friday 18 March 2011

Geocaching

Last spring I made a couple geocaches of my own that I could hide.
I've been getting a few comments that some of them need maintenance or even replacement. I've been putting it off cause it's been so cold and snowy, but today I got a message from a fellow geocacher asking if I've checked on them recently cause they wanted to find them. I thought with the weather nicer, I don't really have a good excuse not to do some maintenance.

So, one of the caches I need to check on is one of my pinecone caches. It might be missing, so I decided to fix one of my old ones up and take it with me when I go check on it... so I can swap the old for the new fixed up one.

Since I'm fixing it, I thought I'd post some pictures on how I made it....

I had found some pinecones on the groud a while back and they've been sitting in my car. I started to pull them all apart. Big mess, I know.


I took all those little pieces that I pulled off the pine cones and I hot glued them onto a little container I had bought at a camping store for 50 cents. Tedious, I know. And maybe you're thinking that I have just way too much time on my hands.


Why would I want to do this you may ask? Because when I go geocaching, it brings a big smile to my face when I see something different, unusual and something I know someone spent some effort in making. I want to give others the chance to find something different and unusual and make my cache one that they'll remember amongst all the others that they find.


Speaking of geocaches, I thought I would write a bit about some of my favorites.
There's a geocacher that goes by the name of Peanut Butter Bread & Jam. I've never met him, but I've done many of his caches and I have to say, a lot of his are among my favorites.
He's got quite a few hidden in Airdrie. If you take the time to go find his, I promise you, you will not be disappointed!! Here are a couple of my favorites he hid in Airdrie....

10 lbs of sheet in a 5lb bag bag
: This one is very simple. Easy find for someone starting out. You'll be impressed by this one, I promise you!

Nice Parking job you silly twit : This one was the first of his caches I found. A multi cache. Fairly easy too. Very "out of the box". This one has inspired me to make caches more like his and not just the usual tupperware hidden in the bushes type of caches.

Shedding her sparkler dim on the prairie
: This one had me the most confused. I had to go back 3 times for it and even begged Cam to come look with me. One of my tougher finds, but so, so worth it!! Oh, and be warned that it's in a very open, public area... right beside a busy road. But, seriously, go try and find this one. Very unique!

I'm not going to post pictures of any of these caches either. I don't want to ruin any of the fun on these!

Lastly, one of my more memorable caches that I found was here in Calgary. At the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary. The amount of work that someone put into it was astounding. Here's the link for that one.... IBS: Gnome's Animal Lodge Maybe next time I'm in the area, I'll take a picture of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment