Kiddle Family - November 2012

Friday 20 January 2012

Mad Science Cake

I had a request for a Mad Science Cake for a little girl's 8th birthday.
It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to put on it, but in the end, I think it came together nicely. The birthday girl was super excited when I dropped it off and was asking what everything was made from when I told her it's all edible (though really, some things you just wouldn't want to eat cause it wouldn't taste the greatest... like the bubbles, but it's still edible)

Here's a look at the cake....

If you're interested in the details of the cake...
The cake is vanilla with a coconut/vanilla buttercream icing.
The flask is made from rice crispys with a thin layer of buttercream and a layer of fondant.
The smoke coming out is cotton candy.
The test tube is fondant. The "goo" coming out is colored piping gel
The bubbles are made from gelatin, water and luster dust. The bubbles were pretty cool to make. Something completely new for me and I just happened to come across a tutorial that explained how to make them. Click here for a link to the tutorial if you're interested. Not all the bubbles came out perfect, but it's definitely something that would be easier the next time.


Overall it was a fun cake to make. Next week will be a busy week. I've got two cakes to make, so stay tuned for that....

Link

2 comments: