Kiddle Family - November 2012

Tuesday 11 October 2011

A Blast to my Past

My Grandma was born in April of 1913 (that's right, she's 98!).
She was born on a homestead just East of Crossfield.
When she was 14 years old, her family moved a few miles South to a new farm that had more pasture land.

Would you believe, that the house and barn that they used back in 1927, are still standing?!
It's a fun place to visit. My family made a family trip out there, with Grandma, to see the old buildings back in August. I didn't get around to blogging about it back then, but I'm going to blog about it today. My sister and I were out there again this past weekend... to take some family photos. It was fun!

Anyways, I wanted to share some pictures of what the house looks like....
At one time, this house would have been so cute. Look, you can even see the cute wallpaper they had.
Looking at the walls is really quite amazing. No drywall back then. Each wall was created with thin slats of wood. And the plaster on the wall was made using horse hair as part of it. You can see the hair sticking out of the broken plaster.
They had a "cellar" under the main floor. Here's the entrance to it. The cellar, yes I went down there, is pretty small. You have to crawl almost to get down there.Heading up the stairs now. Thin and narrow, but in reasonably good shape.
Upstairs, this was Grandma's bedroom. The floor isn't in the greatest shape. In spots we can look through the floor boards and see the room below.
Coming back down the stairs
Living room area. What a mess!
Anyways, that's inside the house.
On a side note - I placed a geocache just down the hill from the house, closer to the barn. I called it "A Blast to my Past", same as what I titled this blog posting.

Here's a little look at some of the family photos we took here this weekend....
After all, old buildings are all the rage for photo backdrops and it's even better when it has a special tie to our family heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment